There are three scales of temperature measurements. Celsius and Fahrenheit are two standard scales among them. Third, is kelvin. In Celsius temperature scale, the boiling point of water is 100oC and the freezing point is at 0oC whereas in the Fahrenheit temperature scale, the boiling point of the water is at 212oF and the freezing point is at 32oF. This point distinguishes the Celsius scale from the Fahrenheit scale.
These two scales are different from each other in many aspects. These scales are selected for use based on these factors. Celsius is used for measurements all over the world except in the United States. United States use Fahrenheit as a measuring tool. This scale is also not used in some countries where Kelvin is used.
Celsius is the most straightforward scale of measuring temperature. However, the value of these two scales is convertible to each other by applying a mathematical formula.
|Basis for Comparison||Celsius||Fahrenheit|
|Invented by||Andres Celsius||Danial Gabriel|
|Average human body temperature||37oC||98.6oF|
|The boiling point of water||100oC||212oF|
|Size in degrees||One degree of celsius is 1.8 times larger than one degree of Fahrenheit||One degree of Fahrenheit is equal to 5/9 degree celsius|
|The melting point of ice||0oC||32oF|
|Used in countries||In the entire world except a few countries||The United States and some of its territories|
|Conversion Formula||(oC× 9/5) + 32= oF||(oF-32) × 5/9 = oC|
What is Celsius?
Celsius temperature scale is the part of the metric system and is used to measure the temperature of patients and weather in many countries. Celsius was proposed in mid-1700 by an astronomer Andres Celsius. He took water as the base and set some specific standard values which are clear to figure out. The freezing point of water is 0oC and the boiling point of water is 100oC. Similarly, the average human body temperature is 37oC and the absolute zero value is -273.15oC. This scale has been using in many countries except the United States and its territories.
Celsius was earlier named as the centigrade scale. Its endpoints are separated by 100 degrees. The word has derived from the two Latin words; centrum and gradus. The word Centrum means hundred and “gradus” means “scales or steps”. Celsius is the proper name of a centigrade scale of temperature. It is denoted by oC. Celsius is the easiest method to understand the temperature reading. One degree Celsius is 1.8 times larger than one degree Fahrenheit.
Celsius and Fahrenheit’s values are interconvertible by applying an easy formula which is the following:
(oC× 9/5) + 32= oF
(oC× 1.8) + 32
What is Fahrenheit?
A German Physicist Gabriel Fahrenheit (1686-1736) invented the mercury in the glass thermometer in 1714. That thermometer is still in use after 300 years and is one of the accurate and widely used means of measuring temperature scale. After 10 years of this invention, Fahrenheit proposed this temperature scale that set freezing point at 32 degrees and water boiling point at 212 degrees. So it makes the difference of exactly 180 degrees from the Celsius.
Fahrenheit is another parameter to measure temperature but has used only in the United States and it’s few territories. The human average body temperature is 96oC and absolute zero is -459.67oC on this scale.
The values of Fahrenheit can also be convertible to Celsius by the following formula:
(oF-32) × 5/9 = oC
Key Differences between Celsius and Fahrenheit
- Celsius temperature scale is denoted by oC whereas the Fahrenheit temperature scale is denoted by oF.
- Celsius is proposed by an astronomer Andres Celsius whereas Fahrenheit is proposed by a physicist Daniel Gabriel Fahrenheit.
- Celsius is used for measurement widely, whereas Fahrenheit is used only in a few countries.
- Celsius temperature scale has absolute temperature -273.15oC, whereas the Fahrenheit temperature scale has absolute temperature -459.67oF.
- In the Celsius temperature scale, the average human body temperature is 37oC whereas in the Fahrenheit temperature scale, the average human body temperature is 98.6oF.
- In the Celsius temperature scale, the freezing point of water is 0oC, whereas in the Fahrenheit temperature scale, the freezing point of water is 32oF.
- In the Celsius temperature scale, the boiling point of water is 100oC whereas in the Fahrenheit temperature scale, the boiling point of water is 2120F.
- 1. Both are measuring scales of temperature.
- Both Celsius and Fahrenheit coincide at -40o which is the same for both.
In conclusion, Celsius and Fahrenheit temperature scales are two scales for the measurements of temperature. Both are widely used and accepted.